(Taken from the North Carolina Department of Commerce Website)
The Former Offender Initiative provides resources to job seekers with criminal records to help them overcome the barriers toward employment created by a criminal record.
How It Works
Each NCWorks Career Center provides services to former offenders. Career center staff ensure job seekers with a criminal record have the necessary resources to conduct an effective job search.
In addition to the services provided to all job seekers, former offenders have access to the following services:
- Help with writing resumes and a “letter of explanation” detailing the reasons for their criminal record and/or incarceration.
- Knowledge about employer’s policies concerning hiring former offenders.
- Workshops geared toward former offenders.
- Referrals to community organizations that assist former offenders.
- Provide information on Federal Bonding and the Work Opportunity Tax Credit.
Career centers also work with federal, state, and local providers of reentry services, including community- and faith-based organizations, and vocational rehabilitation centers.
In addition to the economic value of obtaining employment, a former offender who finds a job is three times less likely to return to incarceration than those who do not obtain employment.
NCWorks Career Center – Guilford County
Classes with Nicholas Bright will end on June 30, 2017